Online gaming has evolved drastically and has almost replaced video games. As a gamer, not every user is aware of the risks in gaming. Online gaming attracts people of different age groups and different geographical regions. With so many being excited to play online games, this certainly opens doors for various cybersecurity threats.
Online gamers are easy targets to hackers for exploitation. Unknowingly, several such online gaming users become victims of security breaches. Some of the cybersecurity risks involved in online gaming are common hacks, however, there are others who are explicitly employed to target online gamers.
Online gaming is usually treated as a recreation and the security aspect is not much focused. This is one of the reasons why it's easy to target online gaming users. Online gaming opens the opportunity for hackers in several ways to gain backdoor entry and breach security.
Below are the different cybersecurity risks in online gaming:
Strong Password: Online gaming portals provide each user with an username and password to access to their account. Most gaming users play multiple games and they share same username and password, and never update their password.
Such lack of security measures makes it easy for hackers to gain access to the gaming account. Not considering gaming account security as a top priority can be dangerous. Even though online games are played casually, they still might hold a credit card or payment details. So, any leaked credentials can be a grave security concern.
To prevent such security risks, its important that you secure your online gaming accounts with regular updates to passwords, using two-factor authentication, and using different passwords across multiple gaming portals. One can secure gaming accounts with an extra layer of security.
Phishing: Online gaming is no exception when it comes to phishing attacks. Referral links, unknown emails are common methods hackers use for phishing attacks.
Such phishing scams are also sometimes done by fellow online gamers to allure users into leaking information. In case of suspicious emails or unknown links, it's best to get in touch with the gaming company support. An offer from a fellow player that appears to be too good to be true definitely would require validation.
Malware: Many online gamers turn off their antivirus and security software that would seem to be draining their gaming experience and performance. Apart from this, it's not uncommon when antivirus software alert certain gaming programs as a threat may be a false positive.
Its important to use an antivirus that provides gaming mode. Such security software ensures no dip in performance and yet provides additional security from malware. Malware also enters your system from downloading pirated or malicious gaming software. Use game boost to enhance your gaming performance.
To avoid malware, its best to purchase a licensed copy of the gaming software. Add additional security filters while downloading gaming software. Sad Satan Game is one such known malware that requires ,a href=/dark-web">dark web to access it.
Ransomware: Online gaming can be addictive. As you reach higher levels in-game with developed characters and achievements, most online gamers will not let go of these benchmarks. This seems easy bid for scammers to employ a ransomware attack.
This sets as a trap where online gamers are willing to pay ransom to unlock certain characters or achievements in the game.
- Gaming apps: Online gaming has reached the next level where this can also be enabled via mobile apps. It's difficult to verify the authenticity of such third-party apps available for mobile users. Many fake gaming apps are available in the Google play store. This leads to several security breaches in online gaming. Not all apps listed on popular and trusted play stores are legitimate.
Keylogger: Unknown links for a new gaming profile, beta version testing, or referral can be a scam. By clicking on such links, you may end up compromising your security. This can include keystroke logger programs that run silently to capture your credentials.
Scamsters then use these credentials to gain access to your online gaming account or set a ransomware trap. Such password stealers can be prevented by using appropriate security measures and malware protection.
- Free versions: As mentioned earlier, online gaming is played at leisure in most cases. Owing to this, not many online gamers prefer to invest and buy a licensed gaming product. Getting a pirated copy of the gaming software can open doors for several scamsters and malware.
- Game cracks: Similar to pirated versions, game cracks are often set as a trap by hackers. Game cracks or cheat codes are tempting when gamers want to overcome a difficult task or stage in the game. Such game cracks at times are malicious code that provides unauthorized access.
- Privacy issues and cyberbullying: Online gaming with multiple users involves interactions with many unknown players. While you make friends with fellow players, you also are at risk of exposing your online privacy. It's important to not reveal confidential information to fellow players, otherwise, your online privacy and security may be compromised. Online games also are a common breeding field for cyberbullying.
- Phishing campaigns and Ads: Phishing attacks is the most common concern for most online gamers. Not just phishing emails, but phishing campaigns are also common. Ads and campaigns run on Facebook can also be a phishing campaign. At first glance this may seem to be a legitimate gaming invite. However, this may result in a phishing campaign to compromise your security.
Online gaming does include cybersecurity risks and online abuse. While using online gaming portals, ensure to maintain common online security practices. Provide cybersecurity education to kids in order to safeguard online privacy. Apart from Cybersecurity, additional education should be provided to prevent falling prey to cyberbullying, fraudsters, scamsters, phishing attacks and addictive gaming.
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated. Spammy and bot submitted comments are deleted. Please submit the comments that are helpful to others, and we'll approve your comments. A comment that includes outbound link will only be approved if the content is relevant to the topic, and has some value to our readers.